Saw this video recently posted and while I had a really good laugh about it, it made me think about a couple things that I've been hearing from people lately so I thought I'd put my thoughts down.
So let's talk about marriage.
The big M I like to think of it, it's something that has so enraptured Christian communities it's talked about just as fervently and as frequently as theology. As a 20-something single lady, it's almost a promise that when within a group of Christian women the question is going to come up "So, any men in your life?". It's almost silly, I feel like when I get asked "How's life been?" that if I don't have some sort of man to talk about nothing has been happening. I can look at a woman's face and when she utters the words "Anything new?" I know it means "Are you seeing anyone yet?". And I always flounder to think of anything that could be as interesting as having an active dating life to talk about. School. Work. Youth Group. It always sounds flat and about as exciting as watching white paint dry, when in reality the Lord has been doing so much in my life just from the usual everyday that I can't even get my thoughts straight to explain how good He is.
I don't mean to complain or rag on anyone, far from it! Most people ask because they honestly care and want to see me in a happy, healthy relationship. They want this because they know it's the desire of my heart to be married and raise a family. I know these questions come from loving hearts, but you can't help but feel the slight pang in your own heart that yearns for that one day, too.
But, I know I'm not alone. It seems the common theme in Christian singleness is waiting for the next step. Almost like waiting for life to really begin. How wrong this thought is! I used to think I didn't know what it meant to be a human being because I had never been in a relationship. Little high school me was heart broken at every crush that never returned my feelings. Surely something was wrong with me, right?
Going through life wondering, am I not praying hard enough? Am I not giving it over to God? Am I not dressing right? Am I not saying the right things? Am I not friendly enough? WHEN WILL SOMEONE WANT TO DATE ME?!
But my focus was so skewed! I was so sure that if I were only a relationship that meant I could be a better person and do more things. I didn't see that I was ignoring the fact that God uses us in every season of life, and that being single isn't a curse but a blessing. In my singleness the Lord has brought me through so many things both within myself and in ministry. He's given me opportunities that if I were in a relationship with someone I may not have been able to do. The Lord has shown me that singleness can be such a full and enriching time, and it has been great to draw closer to my Father for comfort and strength. I realized life consisted of my time being single as well as when I'll be married. Life doesn't start when you get into a relationship.
I look forward to every season of life, whether single or in a relationship. The Lord has taught me that I can enjoy life fully and it doesn't matter on what my relationship status is.
Love Always,
Christina
No comments:
Post a Comment