So, here is the beginning of what I hope to be an extensive series of posts about my brothers and sisters in Central America.
Jennifer, Karen, and Genesis
These three are something incredibly special to me. Three sisters, the oldest, Jennifer, can't be more than 8 years old, and they are apart of the church in El Salvador. These little girls were at every service, Bible study, and church event that was held. Their parents even hosted an evening service on the street outside their house. Each night, they would arrive to the church in the truck and come bolting out to crash into our arms speaking fond words, even though, half the time I had no idea what they were saying. I love to gather them in my arms lift them up to spin them around or throw them into the air. The simplistic joy that a few simple, broken words in Spanish accompanied with a hug could bring, is something that causes me to fall before my God in joy. Their giggles live in my memory and make me smile as I remember how innocent and sincere their love is.
They would sing along to the songs, thumb through their Bible to find the passage someone was reading and pray in earnest as the congregation did. They enjoyed children's church and usually had some picture to show.
When we came back from our short time in Honduras, the joy on their faces at seeing us again almost broke my heart with joy. I never knew the heart could feel that large with happiness and love. I wanted to keep them in my embrace forever.
Our last church service, I was sitting next to Jennifer while Genesis roamed around the sanctuary, with her current victim, a moth, in her clutches. I hadn't been feeling too well, so I decided to walk on the porch around the sanctuary for fresh air, and found myself a chair to sit in with a view through the big double doors of the entire congregation. They were singing and praying and I found myself stricken with the reality that I was going to be leaving in a day. I couldn't imagine not being with these people everyday. It was at this moment that Jennifer appeared from around the corner with my water bottle in her hands. I had told her I wasn't feeling well so she looked concerned. I thanked her for bringing me my water and pulled her into a hug. It was at this moment I started to sob into her hair. I didn't want to leave, I wasn't sure I could. She rubbed my arms affectionately and placed her hands on my face. Searching my eyes for something, I'm still not sure what, she just searched my face. I thanked her again and sent her back to her seat. That night as we were saying our goodbyes to our family, I pulled my girls into one last embrace. Jennifer again placed her hand on each side of my face and simply kept repeating "Te quiero mucho" I replied with broken "Te amo"'s as I tried not to cry uncontrollably. They got into the cab of the truck and I held their hands as the truck began to pull away. Once our hands broke contact I simply stood in the middle of the courtyard watching the truck pull away, taking away part of my heart with it.
Even though it was sad, I thank the Lord because he has placed these precious girls in a family of believers where they can grow and flourish into women for Him. I would like to thank their parents, for being faithful themselves. For realizing what they, and what their children need. I would like to thank their father for working hard for his family and making sure they are raised in the Lord.
I love them dearly, and cannot wait to see them again! I will be back, and until then I will continue to pray for them. My precious girls, I miss you.
Love Always,
Christina
No comments:
Post a Comment