Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Disciplined can be a taboo word sometimes

I know, I know, it sounds so cliche to say "This year I'm going to be different!", or to make New Year's Resolutions (Revolutions, HAH) that most everybody fails the First of January.

But this time, I'm serious.

For those who know me, I'm not the healthiest person. I'm overweight and honestly healthy choices don't come naturally. I'd rather sit on a couch and watch Netflix or read a good book than go and take a walk or ride my bike or make any effort to exercise at all. Not that Netflix or books are bad things, again for those of you who know me, know that books are my Achilles heel. If my house were ablaze I would probably try and save every last book I own.
I digress.
But, I've decided to finally take control of my health. It's been about three days since I started, and so far, so good! I've tried dieting before, trying to just not eat to cut back calories, but then eat small portions of super unhealthy food. I once tried a taco bell diet, not even kidding. I would order their fresca "healthy" options and tell myself I was doing myself good by choosing the less fatty of the options. While in some weird ways that did work I still wasn't providing my body with the nutrients it needs. I was just cutting out some of the bad stuff, while keeping most of it.
Sometimes I reflect it on my spiritual walk. There are times when I don't want to get rid of all the bad stuff, so I cut out some of it and say to myself "You're such a good person, to give this up. God will be proud." This is of course arrogance and pride to even think that anything I could do would make God pleased with me. There is nothing apart from total and complete devotion to Him and His Word that will make Him pleased. It's not like I would stand before Him one day and He would say "Well, you still did these things, but remember when you didn't lie, that was awesome! That pardons you!"
No, it's nothing like that. It's more like, "Well, you still did these things, but remember when I sent my perfect Son down to earth to die for your sins and took your place in my judgement? That pardons you, and nothing else other than your demise would suffice."
It's a life of obedience and sanctification that comes after the conversion. The Lord requires that we WORK to become Sanctified. Don't get this confused with Salvation by WORKS, you had nothing to do with your own salvation. That was completely the Lord's grace working in your life. But the Lord still does require an ACTIVE Christian walk.
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses,  we must get rid of every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and run with endurance the race set out for us, keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of our faith. For the joy set out for him he endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God.  - Hebrews 12:1-2
I am loving this verse right now because it has so much to do with what I want to focus on this year! I want to run with endurance, spiritually and physically.
But reject those myths fit only for the godless and gullible, and train yourself for godliness. For “physical exercise has some value, but godliness is valuable in every way. It holds promise for the present life and for the life to come.” - 1 Timothy 4:7-8
I'm starting a study of  Disciplines of a Godly Woman (PDF) with a group of some really solid girls and we've chosen this verse to be our memory verse. Is God trying to tell me something, or what?
So this year is going to be one of Discipline. And I'm starting this blog to keep me accountable.

And since I've started I've already loss 3 pounds! 70 pounds is my goal to lose. So 3 down, 67 to go! :)

Love always,
Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment