Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Making a Mountain out of.... Cookies?

After baking 140+ cookies, I'm finally finished.
I can't give you the exact number. I don't dare count, there are so many. All I know is I baked four batches that made approximately 36 cookies per batch. Give or take a few and that's what you have. A lot of cookies.

Tomorrow is Amanda Hardt (soon to be Amanda Arbia) and Mike Arbia's wedding. Amanda approached me some time ago asking if I would make cookies for the small reception they're going to have straight after the wedding in the church's overflow room. She was sweet enough to compliment me up and down to try and persuade me to do it, but of course I would have done it even without the sweet words.

She left planning and budget up to me and I wanted everything to be great for the wedding so I knew I would have to wait until the day before the wedding to make them. I would have made them the day of but that probably would have given the Bride and myself a heart attack from stress so I opted for a little earlier.

But what I didn't account for, a while back, that time when she originally asked me, was just how busy I was going to be. I forgot that I had scheduled myself 7 classes for the semester and that this would be the first week of class and that the only time during the day I would have would be in between classes. And then I didn't think of the fact that I was going to the rehearsal dinner with my friend Matt, so that would take away time from doing it in the evening.

So I have been juggling.

After rushing home with the ingredients between my 11 and 2 o' clock class I quickly set to making the first batch.

Amanda asked for Oatmeal Chocolate chip cookies. I've never made oatmeal cookies so this was an experiment for me.

I proceeded with the usual steps:
Do I have everything?
  • Measuring cups? Check
  • Two mixing bowls? Check
  • Practically frozen sticks of butter that I'm going ot nuke in the microwave even though everyone says not to? Check, hehe oops
  • My handy-dandy GE mixer? Well after searching high and low for the mixing attachy-thingies, Check!
  • Copious amounts of paper towels because I'm a messy baker? CHECK! 
And I set to work. By the time I had to leave for class I had 24 cookies done with tray #3 on it's way out.


And let me tell you.....
These cookies are DELICIOUS!


Seriously, I think this may be my favorite cookie recipe ever, now! I was so happy with them I did my "successful baking endeavor" dance and practically shoved a cookie into my mothers mouth.
Batch after batch I was pleased with the results. I soon found a rhythm to everything, I was working like a well oiled machine:
     Roll the dough into a ball
     Place on cookie sheet (repeat 11x)
     Place cookie sheet on top rack
     Turn on timer for 13 minutes
     Wait for annoying buzzer
     13 minutes later... cue annoying buzzer
     Open oven, cookies still not done
     Put 3 minutes on timer
     Walk away
     3 minutes later... I hate that buzzer
     Cookies still not done
     Shut door
     Stare at oven
     30 seconds later decide that small time has made all the difference and start transferring cookies to cool down
     Wrap each cookie individually in saran wrap
     (Repeat process until desired number of cookies is acquired)

I'm excited for people to eat them tomorrow.
Love Always,
Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment